Canada and the United States aren’t just good neighbors (ie, the world’s longest unprotected border); but when we collaborate, we can do some tremendously good things together.
And when breweries collaborate, they can also bring some truly stunning things to our world.
In a celebration of Canadian and American brewery collaborations, the good folks from The Buffalo Niagara Brewers Association are hosting a first of its kind cross-border collaboration beer fest.
Sadly, due to an issue related to moving beer related products across the border, the originally scheduled event in the United States had to be postponed to April 13, 2019.
However, a delightful teaser to the event took place as a tap takeover in Buffalo at Pizza Plant, and, in Canada, a special beta event is scheduled to take place Saturday, May 5 (2-6pm) at Augusta’s Winking Judge craft beer bar at 25 Augusta St in Hamilton Ontario (1-905-524-5626).
Tickets ($50 Canadian), can be purchased directly at the Winking Judge and include exclusive samplings of all Ontario-made CanAm collabs, food, a commemorative beer stein and the chance to interact with the brewers who made the beers.
As of the writing of this post, the following brews are scheduled to be available at the Canadian site in Hamilton, ON at Augusta’s The Winking Judge. (Check here for updates)
- Brimstone & Rusty Nickel – Mountie & Buffalo Walk into Bar, Belgian IPA 6.3%
- Beau’s & Flying Bison – Great Planes – Biere de Garde, 7%
- Block 3 & Resurgence – Angels & Apricots – Oak Aged Gose – 4%
- Cowbell & New York Beer Project – Crazy Hazy IPA – NEIPA 7.5%
- Grand River & 12 Gates – Life on Marzen, Märzen, 5.7%
- Collective Arts & Hamburg – Maybe Next Year, Citra Denali DDH Kettle Sour 5%
- Flying Monkeys & Woodcock Brothers – Slam Dunkel, Dunkelweizen 4.75%
- Niagara Teaching Brewery & Buffalo Brewing Co – Salt & Pepper Gose, 4.4%
- Oast House & Southern Tier – Mixed-Ferment Farmhouse Mosaic IPA 6%
- Nickel Brook & Ellicottville Brewing Company – Only Nerds Will Know, Kettle Soured Hopfenweise, 4.9%
- Shawn & Ed Brewing Co & Community Beer Works – O.P. Imperial Pilsner, 8.4%
- Railway City & Westshore Brewing Company – Border Crossing, Galaxy Kolsch, 5.5%
- Redline Brewhouse & Thin Man Brewing – Squeeze Across the Border, NEIPA, 6.4%
- Royal City & 42 North – New World Saison
- Wellington & 4 Mile – Walk 4 Miles, Dry Hopped Kellerbier, 5%
- Lock Street & Five & 20 – Belgian Waffles w/ Blueberries, Golden Strong Ale, 9.5%
Liz and I have been to The Judge’s similar events that take place each spring and feature local brews, local brew masters and great conversation all afternoon with fellow beer nerds; but we’re even more excited about this dynamic new collaboration event.
We will, of course, be there enjoying the fine brews, the wonderful company and the fun atmosphere, and I’ll be doing at least one live video of some of the tasting and fun – maybe, if I’m able to convince a brew-master or two to come onto a live video with me I can have them share a little bit about the exciting new beers they are offering. That video will be posted to the Spirits Untapped Facebook page.
If you’re interested, it’s still not too late. As of this weekend, I’ve learned that there are still a handful of tickets available.
Perhaps we’ll see you there and share a friendly and hearty toast to the amazing brewers who came together to make these fun new brews, and this great event possible.
Read More About these events:
- Buffalo Niagara Brewers Association – Canadian American Beer Festival 2018 Postponed to 2019 Due to Border Woes
- Buffalo News – Mix WNY and Canadian brewers, get two ‘off-the-wall’ beer bashes
- Buffalo News – Can-Am Beer Festival won’t happen, but someone has to drink all the beer
Some of Mark’s Previous Beer and Bar Videos:
- Ghost Stories from The Winking Judge in Hamilton, Ontario
- A Fiction Tale: “Phantom Mitch” – (Read from upstairs at The Judge)
- Wellington Beer Festival (Welly Cask Fest) Video from 2017
- Unboxing of the monthly Canada Craft Club selections for March 2018
- McMenamins White Eagle Saloon & Hotel